A SKEALS group visited the churches of Holmpton and Hollym on Saturday 23rd of April 2022. The weather was nice and sunny, making for a very pleasant afternoon outing. Between visits a stopover at the café at the Hollym garden centre refreshed the group.
Both church wardens were presented with a donation to their church and a copy of the SKEALS publication “All Saints’ Church, Easington.”
The church is a small Gothic building comprising of Chancel, with north vestry, nave, and west tower with pinnacle, containing one bell. The original church was built around 1160 with boulders presumably from the beach. Its first rector was recorded in 1288.
During the period between 1820 and 1875 the church underwent major restoration. To start with the gallery was added at the west end a new tower was built of brick in 1832. This wasn’t destined to last long as it was rebuilt again in 1874 when the interior boulder walls were bricked and plastered over and the outer ones covered with cream and red brick, thus making a sandwich. At the same time the roof was raised ten feet and the rafters exposed. The interior was restored and renewed in 1874.
On entering, the font to the left is thought to be the original Norman one on its octangular base, although only by removing the paint covering the font could its age be ascertained.
The pews are made from pitch pine and stand on pine flooring. The central aisle being covered with coloured tiles. The altar table was presented to Holmpton Church by Rev. John May (Rector) and Rev. Thomas Frampton, his brother-in-law in 1843.
There is a small vestry room to the north side where Sunday school was held and meetings of the church wardens.
In the church there is a prayer book donated by L. Burron the second daughter of Captain Burron who was the captain of the SS Empress, the prayer book having been used on board.
After an explosion on 8th May 1883, the SS Empress was destroyed by fire. The Spurn lifeboat went to her assistance and took off all the passengers. The pilot cutter from Hull took off the crew, Captain Burron resolved to beach the ship onto Spurn Point.
This is believed to be the fourth building on this site, the first being a chapel mentioned in 1409.
It is known that it was rebuilt in 1814 and is rumoured to be because of a fire. However, the church records for this period seem to be non-existent, so perhaps they were burned. The 1814 build only lasted until 1884 when it was considered unsafe, and the present church was built. The only part left from that is the tower.
In 2006 considerable repairs were scheduled i.e., bells, floor, redecoration, and sound system installed. This was completed in 2008.
The window for St. Nicholas was moved to its present position in 2002 when the Millennium window was installed.
The Millennium window is by Steven Collins of Thirsk. It was paid for by fundraising in the village and was in situ in time for the carol service on 20/12/2002.
The organ was installed in 1889. In 2000, it was completely restored, using money from the sale of the rugby field. Sadly, the restorers, John Clough & Son, could not find anything to identify the makers or where it had come from. They suggested that it could have been from a private chapel on some large estate.
The current font replaced an earlier one which was moved to a house in Hedon and is now (or was) in St. Augustine’s churchyard, Hedon.
The lectern was a gift from the Tennison family, then of Manor Farm, in memory of Robert Burnham Tennison who died in 1915.
The Pulpit is inscribed “in memory of a sister, died 1881”.
The Stations of the cross were drawn and donated by the Rev, Eaves Tinsley in the 1950s.
The Kneelers were designed and worked by various members of the congregation and members of the WI.
The Chancel Chair and the Wafer Box were donated by the Sunday School in 1981.
There is a war memorial cited in the churchyard under the east window, also a war grave and an ancient gravestone in memory of Mary Tock which is deemed to be important.