18th CENTURY LICENSEES IN EASINGTONby Andrea Clubley
By the mid-18th century Easington had been issued with two or three licences, but by 1822 only one was recorded - that of the Marquis of Granby.
There are two public houses in Easington – The Granby and the White Horse Inn.
The Neptune and the Sun Inn - are now closed.
Below are the names of people who held licences in the village but served beer from their own homes:
1754 - 1765/1775 John Wood
1754 - 1764 Wilfred Kemp
1763 Thomas Walker
1765 - 1788 Thomas Walker
1777 - 1782 Mary Wood
1781 Edward Richardson
1782 - 1783 Robert Gibson
1784 Daniel Cole
1785 - 1788 Daniel Cole Jnr
There is a petition on behalf of a William Lambert (licensee) who has been accused of ‘keeping a disorderly house’ asking the magistrate to show leniency. It is signed by at least 14 people. They obviously did not want to lose their alehouse!
A view of the rear of the Neptune Inn
Current view of the Neptune, now a private residence
The Neptune Inn was situated on Seaside Road going eastwards out of the village towards the sea, opposite Vicar's Lane. The name is very popular with inns associated with the sea.
The Neptune began as a beer house around 1840, occupied by William Clapham. It consisted of two or three smaller rooms but was converted into one large room in the 1960s, and then altered again in the 1980s, when it was converted back into two large rooms with a small dining room. A large glass veranda was also added onto the rear of the property, and the toilets were relocated inside. Before then, customers would have to walk down the garden, as the toilets were situated outside and usually full of spiders!
The Neptune was the only public house with a garden for people to use. It was owned by Youngers Brewery; Webster’s Brewery; and then became a free house. Apparently (according to the Church Magazine) on 30 Dec 1894 Lord Londesborough gave a dinner at the Neptune for all of the Easington Rocket Brigade.
As an additional piece of history associated with the Neptune, Philip Loten jnr. was born there. Apart from being a tailor, Philip Loten became a self-taught taxidermist, and he created a museum with many natural history exhibits, housed at the bottom of the Neptune yard. Philip later moved from the Neptune into a house further along Seaside Rd and set up his museum there (but that's another story).
The Simms family who were licensees from 1889 to 1905
List of Licensees
1850 - 1881 Phillip Loten (Innkeeper and tailor)
1881 Philip Loten & Ann Loten
1889 - 1905 Samuel Simms & Sarah Jane Simms
1909 Charles Dickinson
1913 Elizabeth Atkinson
1920 - 1921 William Cawkill & Hannah Mary Cawkill
1921 - 1923 George Fletcher & Ellen Fletcher
1923 - 1925 Robert & Robert Campbell Connor
1925 - 1930 George Stevenson & Edith Stevenson
1930 - 1932 Herbert Knapton & Mary Knapton
1932 - 1933 Charles Bilton & Millicent Bilton
1933 - 1939 Arthur Gibson & Anne Gibson
1942 - 1968 Harold Hood & Florence (Pom) Hood
1947 Sold to William Younger Brewery
1968 - 1971 Nicholas Doran & Catherine Doran (John & Kate)
1971 - 1981 William Miskin & Ellen Miskin
1981 - 1985 Barry Waller & Joyce Waller
1985 - 1986 Daniel Courtney & Rita Courtney
1986 - 1988 Closed
1988 - 1990 John Theaker & Hilary Theaker
1990 - 1992 David Clive & Margaret Williams (Meg)
1992 - 1995 Closed
1995 - 1997 William Larkham
1997 - 1998 Andrew Jackson
1998 - 2007 Sydney Naylor & Maureen Naylor
2007 - 2010 Paul Coupland & Christine Coupland
Gemma Nunn put in charge Dec 2009 as manager
Closed Now a private residence
Photo taken around 1935 when flooding occurred and showing the Linsley's Ales sign
The east end wall of the White Horse showing the cobble stone construction, during building work in 2003
The White Horse, present day
The White Horse Inn is situated in the middle of the village square in a fairly low-lying area.
The name is a popular one for inns – maybe representing the White Horse of Hanover. The interior of the pub consisted of several small rooms – one had an entire wall covered in bottle tops. The pub was renovated in the 1960s and made into two large rooms served by one central bar, and the toilets were brought inside the premises.
In 1885 the pub sold beer brewed by Henry Bentley’s of Oulton Brewery near Leeds. By 1907 it was owned by the brewery, T. Linsley & Co and, in 1952, Joshua Tetley Brewery took over the pub. It is now run by Pubmaster.
In a case similar to that relating to the Marquis of Granby, in 1907 the landlord, John Woodmancey was charged with permitting drunkenness on his premises by John Branton, who was also charged with being drunk. When Branton was asked ‘where he started the day’ he said ‘he did not know’, which created loud laughter in the court room. He was fined two shillings and six pence, but the case against the landlord was dismissed.
List of Licensees
The first recorded licensee is in 1857 and the subsequent names follow -
1857 - 1881 Thomas Quinton (beer retailer & boot maker)
With Hannah and Ann Quinton
1881 - 1894 Hannah Quinton (widow)
1894 - 1898 John Quinton
1898 - 1901 Mary Hildred
1902 David Hamish & Mary Ann Elizabeth Hamish
1905 Fred Pinder
1907 - 1909 John William Woodmancey
1913 Thomas Ferguson
1915 - 1930 Ada Trafford
1930 - 1936 Eric Keyworth & Sarah (Sally) Keyworth
1936 - 1939 William A Kendrick & Harriet S Kendrick
1945 - 1946 Harry Critoph & Ivy W Critoph
1946 - 1951 Sydney Taylor & Edna Taylor
1951 - 1952 Henry Robinson & Alice Robinson
1952 - 1956 Harold Gill & Elsie Gill
1956 - 1967 Harold Tilley & Lilly Tilley (ex-policeman)
1967 - 1972 Leslie Marshall & Alma Marshall
1972 - 1980 Eric Kirkham & Ella Kirkham
1980 - 1983 Malcolm Firth & Thelma Firth
1983 - 1987 William Brewin & Maria Brewin
1988 - 1994 Barry Young & Ruth Young
1994 - 1995 Peter Johnson
1995 - 1997 Timothy Walker & Yvonne Holton
1997 - 1998 Closed
1999 - 2002 Graham Jones & Iris Jones
2002 - 2003 Terry Keyworth & Julie Keyworth (Oct - Jan)
2003 - 2003 Christine Whittaker & Debbie Sizer (Jan - July)
2003 - 2005 John Woodford & Janet Woodford (w.e.f. July)
2005 - 2006 Closed
2006 - 2007 Martin Chapman & Dorothy Chapman
2007 - 2008 Closed
2008 - 2011 Barry Rosser (w.e.f. July 2008)
2011 - 2011 Jim Ovenden & Karen Cheek (April - June 2011)
2011 - 2012 Debbie West & Ann Hinds (w.e.f. Nov 2011)
2012 - to present Sharon Kettley
The Sun Inn was situated next to the Marquis of Granby, on the north side of the church. Built around 1860/70, it was a butcher's shop. Notice the two front doors in the earlier photo. Then, in 1892 Charles Medforth held the licence for a beer house (a beer house is defined as being able to sell beer but not spirits). He was also a tailor and boot maker.
The pub had provision for stabling, and the premises were supplied with water by a total of five hand operated pump wells. These were situated in various areas around the buildings and gardens.
One of Charles Medforth's daughters, Hilda (later Leach), recalled that, when she was a girl of only eleven, her duties included getting up to clean all the tables and benches in the pub, grating, cleaning and re-lighting the coal fire, in preparation for the farm lads, who had to rise at 4.30am to feed and prepare the horses ready for the day’s work. The farm lads would then come for their breakfast at 6am.
After serving all the customers, Hilda then had to go to school!
Unfortunately, in 1906, Charles Medforth committed suicide by walking into the sea after a bout of depression (his brother had committed suicide in Skeffling two years earlier). His widow, Mary, took over the running of the Sun Inn, but was refused a licence in July 1924. So it ceased to be an inn, and returned to being used as a dwelling.
During the Second World War one of the barns was used as an emergency food store for the village.
Two other members of the Medforth family, Lewis (who was a bricklayer), and his sister, Lillian, lived at Sun House until 1953.
Some of the Medforth family, Mary the landlady, is seated in the middle
This picture shows the two pubs side by side, taken in 1905 (notice the lack of houses down Hull Road at the time of the photo)
A selection of clay pipes (always popular with drinkers) found in the garden of Sun House
A number of pipes manufactured by Hirst of Hull
Another view of the Granby and Sun Inn trading at the same time, side by side c. 1920
Photo of the Marquis of Granby in 1905
A picture of the Granby in the early 1970s
The east end wall of the Granby showing cobble stone construction of a cottage revealed in 1985
Marquis of Granby, present day
Situated on the north side of the church as you enter the village of Easington, this public house has had several names – Marquis of Granby Hotel or Inn, Granby Head and the Granby.
The name was a popular one, given to many public houses in the latter half of the 18th century, and commemorating the many exploits of John Manners (1721-1770), the Marquis of Granby (son of the Duke of Rutland). He was colonel in chief of the Royal Horse Guards (Blues) during the Seven Year War with France. At the battle of Warburg he lost his hat, but carried on fighting, although he exposed his baldness to everyone (he was bald from his early 20’s but refused to wear a wig which was the norm). Hence the phrase ‘to go at it bald headed’.
He won the battle of Villinghausen with indescribable bravery. He was considered ‘a soldiers’ soldier and a hero’. It is reputed that he set up non-commissioned officers disabled in the wars as innkeepers –hence so many inns bearing his name.
The Marquis of Granby began as an inn called Granby Head with several small rooms, stabling and gardens. The stables were later demolished and, eventually, six self-contained chalets were built in their place. The interior of the pub was renovated in the late 1980s, and the rooms were knocked into one large area (which was the fashion at the time). In 1901 Hull Brewery bought the pub. It was later taken over by Cameron’s, then William Younger’s but is now a free house.
In an incident in July 1907, the landlord, Myers, had to call upon PC Webster of Easington to deal with his parents, Albert & Ellen Myers who were drunk. When the officer arrived at the inn, he found that the landlord was drunk as well! It transpired that Albert Myers had (according to witnesses) quarrelled with his wife and ‘had her by the throat and she was seemingly black in the face’. He was later fined ten shillings and three shillings costs.
List of Licensees
The first known licensee at the Granby is Thomas Walker in 1763 when it was known as The Granby Head. The pub remained in the family until 1823.
Listed below are the people known to have been licensees at the Granby since that date. Included at a later date are the licensees’ wives, as they played a major part in the upkeep of the pub and continue to do so to the present time in all of the pubs.
1822 - 1823 Francis Walker (son of Thomas Walker)
1823 - 1840 William Blenkin
1840 - 1843 John Blenkin
1851 - 1855 Jane Blenkin
1861 William Bride
1858 - 1868 Harrison Walker
1868 - 1881 John Baccus & Mary Baccus
1881 John Webster
1887 Lewis Whitterson
1892 - 1897 Joseph Henry Baume & Sarah Baume
1901 - 1904 James Collyford Banks
1905 - 1906 Richard Mann
1907 Alfred Myers & Ellen Myers
1909 - 1915 John Hall (owner Robert W Gleadow of North Ferriby)
1918 - 1922 Herbert John Marritt & Ellen Marritt
1922 - 1926 Herbert Knapton & Mary Knapton
1926 - 1927 Closed
1927 - 1930 Charles Leney & Sarah Leney
1930 - 1932 George Edgar Stephenson & Edith Stephenson
1933 - 1939 Harry Auld & Annie Mary Auld
1939 - 1948 John Edmunds & Dorothy Edmunds
1948 - 1968 Charles Dixon and Dorothy Dixon
1968 - 1969 Ralph Hall & Pam Hall
1969 - 1974 Arthur (Ben) & Katherine Bettney (ex RAF)
1974 - 1978 Peter Crossley & Pamela Crossley
1978 - 1984 Phillip Hudson & Christine Hudson
1984 - 1989 Alan Dyson & Jean Dyson
1989 - 1990 Closed for renovation – re-opened as The Granby
1990 - 1993 Brian McFarlane & Brenda McFarlane
1993 - 1994 Trevor Carter & Anne Carter
1994 - 2001 Trevor Carter & Pat Gray (then Carter)
2001 - 2001 Lynette Gardener & Jamie Butterworth
2001 - 2004 Clive Netherwood
2004 - 2008 Lorna Baxter & Glynn Baxter
2009 - 2011 Christine Smith & Bill Smith (w.e.f. Feb 2009)
2011 - 2011 Lorna Baxter (Jan – Mar 2011)
2011 - ? Barry Rosser (w.e.f. March 2011)
? - 2014 Tom ? (Relative of Lorna Baxter)
2014 - 2017 Paul & Sandra Gilson (20 Sept 2014)
2017 - Andrew & Sarah-Louise Howard (9 Oct 2017)
Research ref. UK Electoral Roll Register, Treasury House, Beverley.
Henry and Hilda Stabler, Landlord and Landlady of the Sun Inn
Charles and Edie Wheeler-Osman, the last publicans to run the Sun Inn
Current view of Sun Inn, now a private residence
List of Licensees
Bulmer’s Directory 1823; Sun Inn - William Buck, vict. until at least 1830
Following on from William Buck was a John Harland who came from Lincolnshire. He married an Ottringham lady and ran the pub for some 15 years.
Slater’s Directory 1855; Sun Inn - John Backhouse
Slater’s Directory 1864; Sun Inn - William Giles
Directory of 1887; Sun Inn - Peter Curtis
Bulmer’s Directory 1892; Sun Inn - John Stabler, vict.
Kelly’s Directory 1909; Sun Inn - John Stabler
Henry & Hilda Stabler until 1952
Charlie & Edie Wheeler-Osman, ran the pub from 1952 until 1968
The pub was bought by Bass brewery along with two other pubs as a job lot from a lady brewer. The story goes that Bass did not want the Sun Inn as it was too far away from their other pubs, but the lady owner in question insisted they buy and run all three pubs, or the deal was off! Bass never delivered their beer to the pub themselves, and used a local carrier, Jack Wraith, from Welwick.
As can be seen on the earlier photos, the Bass sign is prominently displayed on the front wall of the house facing the road. There was also a sign at the Skeffling crossroads in the field belonging to Mr Peter Medforth that fronts the pub. This directed people’s attention to the pub. Bass brewery paid rent to Mr Medforth, of a bottle of whisky each year for the privilege of having the sign on his land.
Coach & Horses, present day
List of Licensees
Slater’s Directory 1864; Coach & Horses - Edwin Wright
Directory of 1887; Coach & Horses - Robert Wilkinson
Bulmer’s Directory 1892; Coach & Horses - Edward Levitt, vict. and shopkeeper
Kelly’s Directory 1909; Coach & Horses - Frederick Futty
Current view of the Wheatsheaf and Plough, now Wheatsheaf House B&B
A further old photograph of the ‘Bottom Pub’ or the ‘Wheatsheaf’ in Welwick
List of Licensees
It appears there was at least one, possibly two, premises that held a licence in Welwick from as early as 1754. After 1793 only one existed, this being known as the Plough & Wheatsheaf.
Baines Directory 1823
Wheatsheaf - Catherine Cockerline; her licence continued over the years 1823, 1825 and 1826 until her nephew Thomas Cockerline, and his wife Hannah, assumed the licence in the early 1830s.
The 1840 Yorkshire Directory lists the Wheatsheaf and, in the 1841 census it has the status of a full- fledged inn, and Thomas is listed as its keeper.
Welwick P.O. Directory 1857
Wheatsheaf - Thomas Cockerline is still there in 1858.
Fred Cockerline and Lucy ran the inn in 1861.
By 1871, Thomas Cockerline had remarried to an Ann Lancaster after his wife Hannah had died. He was listed as a retired publican, the innkeeper being a William Hotham and his wife Elizabeth.
\Bulmer’s Directory 1892
Wheatsheaf & Plough - William Hotham, vict.
Kelly’s Directory 1909
Wheatsheaf - William Hotham
In 1952 the licence was held by Mrs. Bosman.
The premises changed ownership in 1965 and is currently owned by Ms. Julia Smith.
Present view of the George and Dragon, closed, its future uncertain
List of Licensees
Baines Directory 1823
Board - Thomas Cockerline, vict. There was an establishment called the Board, in Holmpton, but this was not on the site of the George.
Baines Directory 1857
The George - John Bird
Baines Directory 1892
George Inn - James William Spencer, vict.
Kelly’s Directory 1909
George Inn - Edward Hall
Quinton’s? Sometime in the 1920s
Mrs Medley up to 1957
Charles and Margaret Eldon 1957 to 1963
Roy and Madge Eldon 1963 to 1973
Rob and Jean Glover
Pip and Pauline Herd (they had the restaurant built on)
Ann and Mike Hall
Russ and Evette ?
Jane and Derek Girling
Sue and another lady?
Charles and Julie Brokenbrow